Main menu

Pages

1. Eric Ambler, The Night-Comers.  (U.S. editions are sometimes titled State of Siege.)  Think of Ambler as a precursor of Le Carré.  I used to think he had one or two excellent works, now I am realizing his ouevre is much deeper than I had imagined.  Just long enough at 158 pp., this novel uses the Sundanese setting very well.  He was a favorite of Graham Greene’s, and I will read yet more by him.

2. Lydia Davis, Our Strangers, not on Amazon try these sources.  Very very short fiction, sometimes as short as a single paragraph.  With some periodic non-fiction (or is it?) thrown in.  The best pieces are excellent, and many of the others are at least interesting.  Here is my earlier CWT with Lydia Davis, I am a fan.

3. Alexandra Hudson, The Soul of Civility: Timeless Principles to Heal Society and Ourselves.  Highly intelligent, and today much needed.  Her opening sentence is: “Did you know there are at least four women named Judith who are internationally renowned experts on manners?”  I would say that Alexandra is one of my “dark horse” picks to become a leading classical liberal influencer, except maybe she isn’t a dark horse any more.

4. Amitav Ghosh, Smoke and Ashes: Opium’s Hidden Histories.  An extremely well-written, and also useful history of the opium trade, albeit with more than its fair share of left-wing jargon.  And yes that is the novelist Ghosh.  Due out in February.

The other books I’ve been reading I haven’t so much liked.

The post What I’ve been reading appeared first on Marginal REVOLUTION.



Comments